Note: This brief essay was submitted as an FCC filing in correspondence with proceeding 17-108 "Restoring Internet Freedom."
The Internet exists in our current day as an open platform for information on which any given entity may publish content for consumption. This is the state in which it was initially realized, and the principle on which it has operated in the decades since. The compromise of net neutrality would effectively destroy this facet of the platform, allowing content to be prioritized or deprioritized (or even blocked entirely!) in the name of the bottom line. Internet service providers (ISPs) have demonstrated time and time again a full willingness to engage in non-competitive practices and effective monopolies at the expense of the consumer.
And while the consumer indeed faces yet another threat in this scenario, withdrawal of net neutrality would also serve to adversely affect. . .
Time to get political again. Oh boy.
You may have heard by now of the controversy surrounding YouTube personality JonTron. For those unacquainted, basically, Jon went on a livestream last week for the purpose of a political debate and expressed a number of extremely questionable sentiments which bordered uncomfortably close to the realms of racism and white nationalism.
But, I'm not here to talk about that. Rather, yesterday, he uploaded a video entitled My Statement: in which he discussed the debate which had taken place, and attempted to clarify his stance on the issues discussed (transcript here). Personally, I found this speech deeply troubling. Essentially, Jon expressed his disdain for "the increasing tribalization of our culture." That is to say, he. . .
Certain users of my projects TTT and Steel may have noticed that the third-party auto-updater used by both of them recently broke. Ordinarily, this updater works by checking CurseForge for any updated releases, and if any are found, downloading them and replacing their own JARs with the newly downloaded files. However, a relatively recent change to the ServerMods API caused the updater to malfunction, downloading invalid artifacts and effectively deleting its respective plugin.
So what happened?
The ServerMods API is a REST service provided by Curse which essentially returns all available versions of a given BukkitDev project, including a download URL for each associated artifact. A recent change to Curse's CDN caused the provided URL (located on the domain
servermods.cursecdn.com). . .
Well, we're officially killing Pore. We had fun developing it over the past year and a half(!), but unfortunately we believe it's no longer worth the effort to continue work on it. I'll highlight our main reasons for this conclusion below.
There Are Only Two of Us
Since its inception, Pore has been developed almost exclusively by myself and Minecrell. It's a fairly large project, and building it with a two-person team is very difficult and requires a great deal of effort. Additionally, we have lives and academics/other projects that prevent us from dedicating a sufficient amount of time to Pore. Subsequently, we believe that we won't be able to finish the implementation before the API bridge or even Sponge itself is long obsolete.
Sponge Has Become Increasingly Different from Bukkit
We started Pore right at the inception of Sponge, a bit before the first API commit had even been made. During its infancy, Sponge was based more or less off of Bukkit, and. . .
If you're reading this, you probably came from TTT's BukkitDev page, in which case I owe you a serious apology, as I've been far behind on my promises for the plugin. Very, very far behind.
Basically, I bit off more than I could chew. In (I believe) March of 2014, I started a project called MGLib. The goal of this project was to move all the generic minigame systems found in TTT to their own framework so I could update the core engine (the stuff that deals with timers and rollbacks and such) separately from the main plugin (the stuff that deals with karma and traitors and such), as well as make it easier for me to make more minigame plugins. Unfortunately, I failed in both of these goals. I found that keeping functionality separate and maintaining two separate plugins made it even more difficult to develop, and subsequently release schedules suffered. Furthermore,. . .